Monday, March 30, 2009

Narita, Japan

Japan---That is where I am right now....generally I like this trip. It is VERY, VERY senior so I have only done it twice before and both times I was working first class.......BIG DIFFERENCE- HUGE.....
Yes, in First Class things are 'generally' (and I use that term loosely, as in any case there can be crew member differences & conflict- not to mention if meals get screwed up somehow).
Anyway.....so yes, Saturday, I picked up this trip to Tokyo (Narita)......it checks in early (93oam---aaaaaaahh! You know how I feel about mornings) anyway....because it checks in so early no one could take the trip from me (other more senior flight attendants)-----ah ah ah ah!! So I figured this would be a good way to get some per diem and relax and have scheduling leave me alone and not give me Airport Alert or some domestic crap. I recognized some names on the trip and determined that even if other people were evil I would have back up.....also my position was a pretty easy one, so I picked up the trip.
Went to to bed @ 1am and woke up @ 5am tossed until 7am (wake up call)........By the time I got to the plane I was already ready for my break......Lucky (sarcasm noted there) for me so were all the 'Senior' people and it goes in seniority order. Whatever.....boarding was fine except the part where they decided that we had too much weight in the front of the plane so we had to take all 'pass riders--- employees, family members, what have you' off......then they changed their mind and decided to move 5,000lbs of freight to the back cargo compartment to compensate----so everyone back on. Then we taxied out and then had a maintenance issue and taxied back to gate. Oh boy.....well on this trip you do not have many hrs to play with.....we can only be on duty for a certain amount of time......Internationally 18hrs. TRUST ME----They ALWAYS find a way to fix this problem (it may be within at least 5 mins of this time period). So we go within 30 mins of 'being illegal' to fly the trip.
We hadn't even taken off yet and I am literally struggling to keep my eyes open (not a morning person, you see---- My body is in shock, as it is).
Alright so we are totally full 250?? passengers in the back and apparently 2 of the flight attendants that happen to be working the same cart on the same side of the aircraft are handicapped---(not really......one is just slow and wants to know EVERY passenger's life story and give them 5 drinks before moving on to the next row) the other has just been flying for 45 yrs and doesn't feel like moving fast anymore. Whatever?? Luckily?? I am in the galley working galley "assist".
I think we all got along pretty well but also pretty much didn't at the same time (from what I hear after break & on decent from my 'jumpseat buddy' who worked up in First......it was up & down, and I believe a lot of talking behind each other's back was going on.
The galley was a mess the whole time which makes me crazy but on this Tokyo trip I don't know where anything goes they have us so loaded with crap....there is even stuff behind stuff, plus I was too tired to care.
After the service breaks started. GREAT......only another 3hrs and 45mins until I get to do a mid flight service (cheeseburgers & ice cream) and then FINALLY take my break. (So approximately 4hrs45mins until break time---- I am JUST really tired, its not that I don't mind working, I just need SLEEP)
I have no idea how the hell I stayed awake......I walked around and did all the puzzles in USA Today, surprisingly well............Forgot my book, but I was too tired to read it anyway.
When I got up from break the aircraft was out of 'potable water' the water you use to wash your hands and helps flush the toilet. YAY (sarcasm-- again)......Well, that meant no coffee, Green T, or English T for breakfast. I wasn't working the beverage cart but I am guessing that was SUPER fun to tell everyone.
I know I sound like I am complaining...I'm really not.....It was just one of those flights---- I have for SURE had worse....and WILL most definitely, in the future.
I especially liked the part about how @ the crew briefing everyone loved each other and was best friends, but by the time the first service started it was like a Family Holiday?? I love you to your face, now go away.....LOL
I love the dynamics of flight attendants and we do and don't get along....and sometimes it's passive/aggressive and sometimes people just have it out and scream @ each other (this was passive aggressive flight).
This is my 'office dynamics' and it cracks me up......I seriously just have to laugh......our job is way too easy for all that, but when people are slow or lazy then yeah I get irritated too.....
I need sleep......I hope this even made sense.
I am trying to blog more and this was my flight/ day/ night/ last 26hrs

13 comments:

Paula said...

I have learned a lot about flight attendants from your blog....I don't know why, but I just thought that the same group of attendants worked together all the time with the occasional fill-in for sick/vacay. I had no idea! This system sounds like a scheduling nightmare! But the up side would be not working with the same slacker every flight.

Agent DragonFly said...

yes, well we do switch around a bit, but at times you do work with the same flight attendants repeatedly......
I am 'THAT' flight attendant that fills in for sick/ whatever.....so I get a dose of everything, usually which in some ways is good.....but I would trade Reserve life (fill in life) to have a schdule, etc...

Secreteeyore said...

You know, if I went to Guam on these 5 days off, I would have non-revved on this flight. I am glad I didn't because of that nonsense of that taking pass-riders off mess. What a b*tch!

I know this story all too well. I seem to always get the crew that has some sort of back-story: the galley girl is sleeping with my ex-husband and I hate her! or if that f/c aisle girl says something to me about our last layover when I don't remember how I got home I am going to punch her! or the f/c galley was supposed to go to anger management for slapping a passenger but never did!....etc. etc. etc.

Crew briefings are the calm before the storm...

Agent DragonFly said...

LOL!! You got it SecretEeeyore!! Usualy my flights are ok, though....I think just b/c the delay and everyone being sooo tired it was downhill from the beginnning.
Your comment definotely encompasses sevarl things we address throughout many flights...Too Funny/ Sad?! I think its funny

Queen B said...

oh my. for some reason it's funny to hear you b*tching about a bad flight because I always just think about it from the passenger perspective.

I imagine the "no coffee for breakfast" conversations did not go so well!

KFuj said...

Paula I agree with you I have learned so much, and love you all so much more for all that you do to make my flight enjoyable.
Queen B I'm with you no coffee or tea after a meal. I'm not asian but love hot tea with my meals, its better for you too.

Diane said...

No coffee....did you offer Bloody Marys for free? :)

The Queen said...

Wow, I could not imagine even going to Japan (b/c I hate flying) but having to go for work! It takes a special person to be a flight attendant!

Agent DragonFly said...

Yes, Queen B many flight attendants are very 'special'....as was well noted to and from Tokyo

Kim Thomas said...

I could totally duplicate Paula's comment. I love learning more and more about your travels.

Agent DragonFly said...

so glad you guys enjoy my airline stories, sometimes I wonder if they are boring.....please tell me if they do reach that point!!!

Jane: a female given name of English origin said...

i love the office politics!

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,