Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Buenos Aries: Part 1

I haven't been blogging much lately SORRY....I did just go on vacation so I suppose I could blog about that............
First I could tell you about the day in which I awoke SUPER excited to walk all the streets of Buenos Aries and see at least 2 new neighborhoods...........Sure on the map it wasn't far at all.....a bit of a walk, but we need the exercise and who knows what we might find along the way???
Answer: Nothing.......sort of
I walked us through our usual touristy parts and into the "1st new neighborhood" San Telmo..........Judging by the big Tango Dancers in the center of the map (of San Telmo) I routed us down specific streets.  This was not so fun.......we passed people checking their mail......kids being dropped off for school and NO Cafes....the ones we did see were dark & seemed very local & not fun.......Finally we stopped @ 1 cafe with outdoor seating and regrouped......and I said after that we would walk up to "La Boca".....again a bit of a walk, but we could do it!!!  Then Joe shows me in the book that it specifically says to NOT walk thru La Boca and go straight to the tourist part (El Camiento???)  and to NOT stray from the riverside.......I was like....."Oh, No Worries....I see a path along the riverside we can walk---totally safe"  After convincing Joe of this "safe path" I lead him on our new journey and around the corner we found a GREAT plaza with some Tango and lots of outdoor cafes and street vendors with cute stuff to buy......We needed cash
I am not going to go into this journey.......basically we asked about 20 people and NO ONE knew where to get cash except after walking for circles about 10blocks I was able to get a street cleaner to tell us......when we found the cash machine it was out of cash...AWESOME.....
There was a Police Woman across the street that told us of another cash machine.......so we did in fact get cash and headed back to our 'happy place'-- The Plaza (with cafe, wine, Tango, characteur (sp?) drawers and street vendors)..........after the hunt for cash we were over more exploration.......so we headed back to hotel & went to dinner.........and saved La Boca for the next day......
Good thing b/c when I FBed about San Telmo and La Boca......my friend (from their said we were supposed to go to San Telmo on weekends...we went on Monday...didn't know---- & she also said to not walk to La Boca).......
We decided our ATM fiasco saved our lives or something.............
Ok...more to come....don't want to overload you