Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Jury Duty

Well....yesterday I had Jury Duty..UGH! I am sure MOST of you are familiar with this process, but I will enlighten those of you that are not....and from what I can see it varies from each district anyway, b/c I also had it while living in NYC.
For the most part I can't REALLY complain....I was in the afternoon group which didn't start until 1215pm.....YAY!!! I am always nervous about heading downtown and parking & finding where I am supposed to be, so I left early. The process of getting downtown went very well....no traffic & no getting lost....parking was easy.......and I even found where I was supposed to be quickly. That gave me extra time in the assembly room, which was not cool, but that is when I was SUPER happy I had my BB!! :)
Finally they started to make announcements and explain things to us and ALSO our district clerk came down personally to give us a 'pep talk' and tried to make us visualize our day more as 'jury service' instead of 'jury DUTY'. This did not work, but he was a really good speaker and was nice and stuff. He also informed us that NEXT week the room would be equipped with WiFi, which was good---- but I thoroughly scoured the room and found no outlets for a computer. Also by the end of 2010 we will have a new fancy room, set up to make the process run more efficiently (I hope the chairs are more comfortable, too).
They called the first 2 groups of jurors and my juror # was only 70 away from the last group they called so I KNEW I was going to be called next.....at least an hour went by and they had not called another group.....and eventually told us we were going to be dismissed but to go pay our parking first. You see you do this inside the building before you get to the garage.
The parking situation is what I mostly have a problem with.....it was easy to park....even though I forgot to look @ which level I parked on.....Doh!! (but was thinking 12) Anyway, you have to pay $5.50 to park and you get paid $6.00 for jury duty!!!! What??!! Well in better news I lost my parking ticket......I looked through my purse a million xs and finally had to give up.
So I went to stand in line to pay my parking and noticed the pricing sign.....if you lost your ticket you paid $8.25...GREAT so NOW I am paying THEM for jury duty.....
There was a pretty long line to pay for parking and when I got to the cashier I told her I lost my ticket and she asked me if I was leaving right then.....I said I thought so...They said they were dismissing us but to go pay for parking first. Then she explained that if you lost your ticket they have to issue you a new one & it is only valid for 20mins. Aaahhhh!!!
Ok....so back to the assembly room for 'official release'....
After being 'Officially Released' like 5 mins later I went up to the desk to get my work release slip and got back into the even longer line to pay for parking. I spent probably 15mins in line, but it wasn't the worst thing ever...at least it was moving.
Once I was issued my 'replacement parking ticket' I was on the move....It is a lot of pressure to find your car, get situated, drive down multi levels of parking garage......wait behind other cars to get to the automatic ticket grabber thingie.......all within 20 mins!!
Even though everyone was going up the elevators RIGHT next to the ticket cashier, I just knew I had been outside @ one point to get to the building. So I by passed the 'obvious' elevators and meandered back the way I had come.......but apparently that was wrong....so I went back to the 'obvious' elevators and prayed they were correct AND that I did in fact park on level 12. That worked out REALLY well.....my car was right there and I escaped the garage within my 20 mins time frame!!
By the way......later that night I found my parking ticket in my pocket...NOT my purse!!

5 comments:

Jenn Ann said...

Somehow I feel a lecture coming from the non-purse carriers...

Hate Jury duty. The court system loves me. I get called all the time. Wait, I've been in my new county for 2 years....not a good sign...I'm scared to get my mail now.

Queen B said...

:) purses = evil :)

Ok, that SUCKS that you basically had to pay them to let you complete your jury service. NOT COOL. Can't believe you have to pay to park for it. ridiculous

Love that the guy was talking up jury service... all these improvements coming, I'm sure now you're eagerly awaiting getting called again!

Kim Thomas said...

Purses are evil ;)

And Jury Duty, I'm not going to go there in writing on the internet.

Jane: a female given name of English origin said...

Hate Jury duty!!

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,