Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Few Days

I'm going to warn you right now--this is long, but TO THE POINT, I assure you...anyway:
I should have known it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad few days when I was the lead flight attendant on my trip and on our way from Honolulu to Los Angeles a lady had a stroke. The good thing was that we had a cardiologist on board and also we were only about an hr from landing. I am not going to get into all the details, b/c that would take way too long. Basically I think she will be ok....she wasn't able to talk but was aware & wanted to be responsive, she just couldn't. The paramedics met the flight and took her to the hospital.
As I am sure you can imagine this type of situation involves a lot of paperwork to be completed @ inopportune times. Getting witness names, addresses, phone #s....medical license #s.....plus patient's information, details of event, etc... mostly you are supposed to be doing this @ the same time you are supposed to be saving their life and before the end of the flight.
Anyway, I still had to fly to Houston after that so I had a different flight attendant work on paper work and then worked on my paper work the next flight.
The next flight was hectic, but no drama just busy.....especially with paperwork situation and no desk.
When I got home I didn't think I could sleep....mostly b/c Mr. DragonFly was doing serial killer style cleaning in the bedroom (and also by the time I was winding down I sort of just decided that I could make it to an early bedtime)---- but ended up staying up until about midnight or so.
The next morning scheduling called me @ 5am to work a domestic flgiht--- AWESOME (NOT Really). It would have been fine if that day didn't involve 3 flights, a trip thru customs, and a 12 and a half hr duty day with a 9hr scheduled overnight.
I definitely knew it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day as soon as scheduling called with that....but.....it was clearly reinforced about once every hour just in case I had any doubts.
First, I couldn't get into the adminstrator profile on my computer b/c I changed the PW to nuhuh001 but apparently came up with some other spelling while sleep deprived.
Then when I got to the employee parking lot I realized my wallet was @ home and I was STARVING. LUCKILY....a pilot also waiting for employee bus had cash & I had my checkbook!! I still had a feeling it was going to be one of those days, though.....
My first flight was to Cancun....everyone was nice, clueless- but nice & seriously I can be pretty happy & patient with just about anyone as long as they are nice. So that was alright....but...
I knew we were in for trouble when (on the way back from Cancun) during the very last part of boarding I was called to a seat in which a passenger was sick....and I mean SICK....like multiple bags of puke sick.....If I had been the lead she would have been pulled off the flight & I have NEVER considered that before, but I just knew this was going to be trouble. It's not as if I would have pulled her off to be mean--it is because if you are really sick the last place you should be is in the middle of a flight. I was right.....she did start to feel a little better before take off but it didn't take long for her to get sick again, and again and again......
We had to call for a physician on board but basically she needed an IV....we can do that on the plane but she was not to the point that we needed to do that YET....
We then received notification that we would be diverting to Austin due to weather....
This complicated the situation b/c we were coming from Mexico and couldn't clear customs in Austin.....paramedics wouldn't be able to meet the flight, etc....
Eventually the Capt. convinced 'whoever' to let US be cleared to Houston and we landed and paramedics met the flight- Day 2, and she was taken to the hospital.
At this point I am Zombie flight attendant and am just hoping I can somehow make it thru the next flight to Baltimore. Sigh.....Ok.......barely and miserably I do......
I got to my hotel room @ 10pm & my wake up call was set for 5am....I defintiely needed a shower, but there were (um...down there hairs) from the last person that used the shower......
Nice...so I switched my hotel room.....OF COURSE.........also had to attempt PW reset again, and again and again on computer with NO success.....
The next morning I awoke to find out that I set my phone alarm, but didn't turn it on....set the alarm clock in the room almost an hr. late and didn't receive a wake up call---but I DID wake up about 10mins early so that crisis was diverted.
On our last flight back to Houston we were just about to start the service when a lady passed out right in between the bathrooms...........
We put her on oxygen, called the pilots and held off service (which included cearl & a banana---for those of you that fly on airlines that don't serve food), but anyway, she did end up being fine....no paramedics today.
Since I finally got home things have been smooth sailing and geek squad fixed my password situation for $30.....but I won't be making up any amiguously spelled words for my password again, especially when I am sleep deprived.
That is the shortest most to the point way I can describe the last few days.....
I DO LOVE my job....and I have missed flying, but I am VERY glad to have some days off at the moment! Sheesh!!!

7 comments:

Queen B said...

OMG... after the flying lull, you were way overbooked this week! Can't believe you had TWO flights met by medics (and almost a third). craziness.... you deserve SLEEP!

Paula said...

Careful, you are going to get a reputation of being "the-kiss-of-death-flight-attendant"

;-)

That is one hellacious week! Hope next is 1000x better!

Diane said...

Wow! What an adventure. Did you finally get the paperwork done from the first flight?

Jane: a female given name of English origin said...

Ok I will admit I have ADD and could not read the entire post.

I do however sense it was awful and give you brief condolences

Kim Thomas said...

Thanks for the "long post" warning. I did actually read it all ;)

I have never been on a plane with a medical emergency and I can tell you what, I don't know how you do it. You seriously are super woman.

The only parts of the story that I can totally relate to are leaving my wallet at home and not turning on the alarm on the phone.

Andrea said...

Goodness, goodness....that was quite the week. Having been on a flight, as a passenger, where there was a medical emergency, I commend you and your crew (and all crews) for taking on that responsibility. I will remember to always be nice to my flight crew since there is no telling what they have just been through.

Thanks for the reminder.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,