Saturday, February 9, 2013

Frozen Food ‘Cooking’-Advanced Skills a Plus

Last trip to the grocery store I decided to carouse the frozen section for quick fixes when faced with a time crunch, or laziness.
I had never bought a Chicken Pot Pie, but for some reason it sounded like a good idea.
It’s just a Chicken Pot Pie.  The whole point of frozen food items is to not really cook…just easily heat up a previously cooked meal.
It turns out that the Chicken Pot Pie defies the general ‘frozen food stereotype’ and actually requires a series of ‘almost cooking’ steps.
  1. The microwave instructions look lengthy, but I rarely actually microwave.  I skimmed to the ‘conventional oven’ steps
    many-steps-to-a-delicious-frozen-pot-pieoven-more
  2. So next you take the pot pie out of the microwavable wrapper
    easy enough 
  3. Wait…next you leave the pot pie in the paper tray?
    paper-in-the-oven
      I felt that sounded dangerous—I mean putting paper in the oven
    *pretty sure I am wrong, because Marie Calendar wouldn’t want us to burn down the kitchen- right?*
  4. Ok, well…
    Wrap the crust with aluminum foil??  Like just around the crust??  How much?? A thin layer??
    Am I supposed to wrap from the bottom to protect the paper from catching fire??
    I went with wrapping from the bottom, to not cause a fire…I don’t know if that was protocol.
    proper-pie-crust-wrapping
  5. Finally the Pot Pie was prepped and ready for the oven. 
  6. After spending 46-48 mins in the oven you should check on your Pot Pie to see if it is ready for consumption.
    I don’t normally take the ‘CHECK that it is thoroughly cooked’ too seriously, because it is generally pretty basic.
    The Pot Pie instructions displayed a more detailed method to ensure ‘thoroughly cooked’
    Pot-Pie-temperature-taking

    Pot-Pie-thermometer
  7. I did consider that a pot pie has more more features that make a visual prediction of ‘thoroughly cooked’ more challenging.








    I was scrounging around for the meat thermometer that is rarely put to use.
    That fact alone was a red flag that ‘heating’ a frozen Chicken Pot Pie sets a bar indicating there are in fact different levels of frozen food ‘cooking skill’
    Chicken Pot Pie – intermediate to advanced

1 comment:

Sara Watson said...

I think I have done this before. Something about wrapping the crust in foil triggered a long-forgotten memory....